Saturday, August 11, 2012

American Girls

Besides TV, toys strongly influence children's growth and identity. The American Girl dolls and book series are extremely popular, and I believe, rightfully so.  One reason is that they teach American History in a fun, entertaining, upbeat, way (i. e. learning about the Industrial Revolution in Samantha's story or the colonial days in Felicity's story.)   Another aspect of the American Girl tales that I love is that they impress upon kids the value of  community service.  Two examples are when Samantha rescues her friend Nellie out of a horrible orphanage and when Kit took food to the poor house.  Now, I have an idea to write an American Girl story about a young girl named Anna Plumly who is disabled and in a wheelchair; Anna would be attending high school right after the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act was passed and she would need to fight the school district to be in the school play.  I want to do this not only to shed light on yet another minority group in the American Girl collection, but also to show kids with disabilities that they CAN be and do everything that abled bodied children can!!! In my junior year of high school, at Mira Costa High School, I was not permitted to audition for the school production of Beauty and the Beast; I remember feeling completely defeated that my disability got in the way of a huge  dream of mine and I never want anyone to feel that way again!  So...does anyone out there want to help me write the first American Girl story about a star on wheels?

No comments:

Post a Comment