Sunday, August 19, 2012

Rocky Mountain Village

Most people would argue that Disneyland is the happiest place on earth, and as much as I love this magical park, I believe that Rocky Mountain Village Easter Seals Camp in Colorado is absolutely 100% the greatest place in the entire world!!  Each summer, a group of the most loving, caring, compassionate, people who volunteer three months out of their time to make sure that people with disabilities can enjoy a wonderful experience at camp.  To me, those are the true heroes of the world.  I personally have rubbed shoulders with these amazing peeps as I have gone  to camp for five years, usually during the week between July 29 and August 3; they offer us the incredible opportunities to go horseback riding, swimming, fishing, and zip lining.  Ah zip lining...something I never thought someone in a wheelchair would   be able to do, but let me tell you, flying so high in the beautiful forestry I feel so free and far from society's judgments. However, that's not even the best part of camp.
What I love most about Rocky Mountain Village is something extremely rare to find.  It's a certain type of attitude that everyone shares where we all accept, care about, and love each other as individuals, though everyone has varying levels of disability. Yes, camp is all about 100% acceptance and 0% judgment of people with disabilities.  So much so that camp proms are the only dances in my life where I don't feel like a lonely wall flower, because there, I do have real sincere friends.  To put icing on a fabulous cake, this year at prom, my beautiful best friend Hope won prom queen!!!  Needless to say, I  LOVE CAMP, and for all the parents of sons and daughters with disabilities out there, your kids will love Rocky Mountain Village too!! Check it out on Google and I promise your kids will be happy you did!

No comments:

Post a Comment